What does it mean to be Distinctively Lutheran
? At Bethlehem, you'll find our worship to be centered around God's Word and Sacraments, also known as the Means of Grace. While other churches shy away from the historic Liturgy in order to be more "relevant," you'll discover that we embrace the Liturgy because it is the clearest way to present the Gospel in Word and Sacrament. Every Sunday, we celebrate Holy Communion in order to receive the forgiveness of sins. We also believe that the Lutheran Confessions are a clear and truthful explanation of what the Bible teaches.
As Confessional Lutherans, we believe that...
- The Bible is God's Word and it does not have any errors or mistakes.
- All humans are born with sin and deserve an eternity in hell.
- God sent his son, Jesus Christ, to live a perfect life as a substitute for us.
- Through Jesus' death on the cross and his resurrection, the sins of the entire world have been paid for.
- Through faith in Jesus, we become heirs of eternal life in heaven!
- The Holy Spirit works faith in our hearts through Baptism, and continues to strengthen that faith through Holy Communion and by hearing God's Word.
For a more detailed explanation of what we as confessional Lutherans believe, check out the Lutheran Confessions, which can be found here: http://bookofconcord.org/
Bethlehem Lutheran Church is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). Here's a link to "This We Believe," a statement of faith provided by our synod: http://www.wels.net/what-we-believe/statements-belief/this-we-believe/this-we-believe